Joint Admission Test to M.Sc (JAM)
JAM (Joint Admission Test to M.Sc.) is the admission test conducted by IITs or Indian Institute of Technology's in Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee for admission to their high quality Master of Science and other post-B.Sc. programmes in respective disciplines.
Admissions to various M.Sc. and other post -B.Sc. academic programmes in IITs shall be made on the basis of All India Merit Rank in JAM. Candidates who qualify in any Test Paper of JAM shall be eligible for admission to all the academic programmes corresponding to that Test Paper offered by the different participating departments of IITs, provided they also satisfy the essential eligibility requirements and minimum educational qualifications for the academic programme(s) as specified by the Institute(s) in which the admission is sought.
Educational qualification for appearing for JAM
- M.Sc. Biotechnology- IIT Bombay: A Bachelor’s degree in any of the following: Biological/Chemical Sciences OR Pharmaceutical/Veterinary/Medical/Agricultural Sciences OR Engineering subjects/Physical Sciences with adequate exposure to Chemical/ Biological Sciences.
IIT Roorkee: A Bachelor’s degree in any branch of Science/ Agriculture/Pharmacy/Medicine/ Engineering and related disciplines.
- M.Sc.Chemistry - IIT Bombay : B.Sc. with Chemistry as major subject and should have passed Mathematics at 10+2 level. IIT Delhi : B.Sc.(Hons.)/B.Sc. with Chemistry. Mathematics at B.Sc./B.Sc.(Hons.) level is necessary. IIT Guwahati: B.Sc.(10+2+3) degree (Major/Hons.) in Chemistry with Mathematics and Physics. IIT Kanpur : B.Sc.(Hons.)/B.Sc. with Chemistry and should have passed Mathematics at 10+2 level. IIT Kharagpur: Three-year course at Bachelor’s level with Chemistry and Mathematics. IIT Madras , IIT Roorkee: B.Sc.(Hons.)/ B.Sc. with Chemistry as a main subject and should have passed Mathematics at 10+2 level.
- M.Sc. Applied Geology- IIT Bombay: Bachelor’s (B.Sc.) level course with Geology as the principal subject and any two of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry or Biological Sciences as subsidiaries; should have passed Mathematics at the Higher Secondary (10+2) level. IIT Roorkee: Inter Science with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and B.Sc.(Hons.) in Geology/B.Sc. with Geology Major/B.Sc. with Geology,and any two of the following subjects: Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- M.Sc. Geological Sciences - IIT Kharagpur: Three-year course at Bachelor’s level with Geology and any two of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry subjects.
- M.Tech. Applied Geology: IIT Roorkee: Inter Science with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and B.Sc.(Hons.) in Geology/B.Sc. with Geology major/B.Sc. with Geology,
and any two of the following subjects: Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- M.Sc. Geophysics: IIT Kharagpur: Three-year course at Bachelor’s level withGeology and any two of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry subjects.
- M.Tech. Applied Geophysics: IIT Roorkee: Inter Science with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and B.Sc. (Hons.) in Physics or Mathematics with Mathematics or Physics, respectively as one of the subsidiaries/B.Sc. with Physics and Mathematics,
and any one of the following subjects: Chemistry, Geology, Statistics, Electronics and Computer Science.
- M.Sc. Mathematics:IIT Bombay: A Bachelor’s degree in Arts/Science/Statistics/Computer Science/Engineering with Mathematics or Statistics as one of the subjects for at least two years (or at least three semesters in programmes with semester system) of the Bachelor’s programme. IIT Delhi: B.Sc. (Hons)/B.Sc./B.A. (Hons.)/B.A. with Mathematics. IIT Kanpur : B.A./B.Sc. degree (or its equivalent as recognised by the Institute) with Mathematics/Statistics as one of the subjects. IIT Kharagpur: Three-year course at Bachelor’s level with Mathematics or Statistics.IIT Madras: Bachelor’s degree with Mathematics for at least two years or four semesters.
- M.Sc. Applied Mathematics / M.Sc. Industrial Mathematics & Informatics: IIT Roorkee: B.A./B.Sc. (Hons) in Mathematics or B.A./B.Sc.with Mathematics as a main subject.
- Applied Statistics & Informatics: IIT Bombay : Bachelor’s degree in Arts/Science/Statistics/ Computer Science/Engineering with Mathematics or Statistics as one of the subjects for at least two years (or at least three semesters in programmes with semester system) of t he Bachelor’s programme.
- M.Sc. Statistics & Informatics: IIT Kharagpur B.A./ B.Sc.(Hons.) in Mathematics or statistics or B.A./B.Sc. with Mathematics and Statistics as subjects
- M.Sc. Physics: IIT Bombay: Three-year B.Sc. course or equivalent (including four-year courses such as B.Sc.(Ed.) etc.) with Physics and Mathematics as subjects.IIT Delhi: B.Sc.(Hons.)/B.Sc. with Physics.IIT Kanpur/ IIT Kharagpur / IIT Madras: Three-year B.Sc. course with Physics and Mathematics as subjects.IIT Roorkee : B.Sc.(Hons) in Physics/B.Sc. with Physics Mathematics and any one of following subjects: Chemistry, Statistics, Geology, Electronics and Computer Science.
- M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree programme in Physics : IIT Kanpur: Three-year B.Sc. course with Physics and Mathematics as subjects.
- Master of Computer Application (MCA): IIT Roorkee : Bachelor’s degree with Mathematics or BCA.
- M.Sc. Statistics: IITKanpur: B.A./B.Sc. degree (or its equivalent as recognised by the Institute) with Mathematics/Statistics as one of the subjects.
Eligibility Requirement for Admission to each IITs
JAM qualified candidates shall have to fulfill the eligibility criteria of the admitting Institute as given below
- IIT Bombay/IIT Madras- A pass in Bachelor's degree.
- IIT Delhi - At least 60% marks in aggregate (of all the years/semesters) or CGPA of 6.75 on a 10-point scale for General category candidates (55% marks or 6.25 CGPA for SC/ST/PH candidates) in the qualifying degree.
- IIT Guwahati - A first class or minimum 60% marks for General category candidates (55% marks for SC/ST candidates) in the qualifying degree or equivalent.
- IIT Kanpur - At least 55% aggregate marks or equivalent for General category candidates (50% marks or equivalent for SC/ST candidates) at the qualifying degree.
- IIT Kharagpur - A pass in 10+2+3 degree or its equivalent.
- IIT Roorkee - At least 60% aggregate marks or CGPA of 6.75 on a 10-point scale for General category candidates (55% marks or 6.25 CGPA for SC/ST candidates) in the qualifying degree.
The Application Form and Information Brochure can be obtained by Post from JAM office, IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400076.A written request for the same must reach IIT Bombay latest by February last week along with an A/C Payee Demand Draft (drawn in favour of ‘Organising Chairman JAM 2005’(the year of Exam) and payable at Mumbai) for Rs. 550/- (Rs. 300/- for SC/ST candidates) and a self addressed slip. The Application Material will be sent by Registered/Speed post.
Candidates can register online at the Website: www.iitb.ac.in/jam and send the completed Online Registration Form along with the Demand Draft for Application Fee and Additional Test Paper Fee (if any) to the Organising Institute.
It can also be obtained from the designated Branches of Canara Bank given below usually during January to March on payment Rs. 500/- For General Category Candidates and Rs. 250/- For SC/ST Category Candidates.
Agartala (Banamalipur), Agra (Cantonment), Ahmedabad (Revdi Bazar), Aligarh Main (Apsara Complex), Allahabad (Civil Lines), Amritsar (DS Market), Bangalore (Town Hall), Bareilly (Civil Lines), Bhagalpur (MG Road), Bhavnagar (MG Road), Bhopal (MP Nagar), Bhubaneswar (Bapuji Nagar), Chandigarh (Sector 17 C), Chennai (IIT Campus & T Nagar), Darbhanga (Lalbagh), Dehradun (Rajpur Road), Delhi ( IIT Campus & Janpath), Gangtok (MG Marg), Gaya Main (GB Road), Guwahati (Fancy Bazar), Haldwani (Bareilly Road), Hissar (Kamala Nagar), Hyderabad (Abid Road), Indore (MG Road), Jabalpur Main (MK Chowk), Jaipur (Arvind Marg), Jalandhar (BMC Chowk), Jalgaon (Visanji Nagar), Jammu Main (Shalimar Road), Jamshedpur Main (Bistupur), Jodhpur Main (Jalori Gate), Kanpur (Mall Road), Kharagpur (Fatak Bazaar), Kochi Main (Mattancherry), Kolhapur (Laxmipuri), Kolkata (College Street & Gariahat), Kurukshetra (Railway Road),Lucknow Main (Hazratganj), Mangalore (Hampanakatta), Meerut Main (Abu Lane), Moradabad Main (Station Road), Mumbai (IIT Powai & Fort Market), Nagpur (Sitabuldi), Panaji (Mathias Plaza), Patna (Exhibition Road), Pune (Pune Camp), Raipur (Malviya Road), Ranchi Main (SN Ganguli Road), Rohtak Main (Civil Lines), Roorkee (Anaj Mandi), Rourkela (Bisra Road), Secunderabad (MG Road), Shillong (Gulasta Fancy Market), Shimla (The Mall), Siliguri (Panitankimore), Srinagar Main (Residency Road), Thiruvananhapuram (Cantonment), Tiruchirapalli (Teppakulam), Udaipur (Sethjiki Bari Madhuban), Vadodara Main (Lohana Building), Varanasi Main (Bansphatak), Vijayawada (Iron Centre), Vishakhapatnam (Baba Garden).
Exam Details and Centers
JAM will have the following eight Test Papers of three hours duration each. A candidate may appear at the most, in two Test Papers (with payment of additional fee for the second Test Paper), subject to the restrictions of the Test schedule. The Test Papers and corresponding Academic Programmes offered by different IITs for admission are as given below
Biotechnology - M.Sc. Biotechnology,
Chemistry - M.Sc. Chemistry,
Geology - M.Sc. Applied Geology, M.Sc. Applied Geology , M.Tech Applied Geology,
Geophysics - M.Sc. Geophysics, M. Tech. Applied Geophysics,
Mathematics - M.Sc. Mathematics, M.Sc. Applied Mathematics, M.Sc. Industrial
Mathematics and informatics , M.Sc. Applied Statistics and Informatics , M.Sc. Statistics and Informatics,
MCA - Master of Computer Applications,
Physics - M.Sc. Physics ,M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual degree programme in Physics,
Statistics - M.Sc. Statistics .
Biotechnology and MCA Test Papers will be of Objective Type with multiple choice questions only. Remaining six Test Papers namely, Chemistry, Geology, Geophysics, Mathematics, Physics and Statistics will be of Objective-cum-Subjective type with a weight-age of 30% only for the Objective Type questions. There will be negative marking for wrong answers to Objective type questions in all the Test Papers.
Exam Centers - Agra, Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bangalore, Bareilly, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Kolkata, Kochi, Kurukshetra, Lucknow, Mumbai, Mangalore, Meerut, Nagpur, Nainital, Panaji, Pune, Patna, Ranchi, Roorkee, Shimla, Thiruvananthapuram, Tiruchirapalli, Varanasi, Vijayawada, Vishakhapatnam.
Powai, Mumbai 400076
Web Site : www.iitb.ac.in/jam
Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016
Web Site : www.iitd.ernet.in/jam
Web Site : www.iitg.ernet.in/jam
Web Site : www.iitk.ac.in
Web Site : www.iitkgp.ac.in
Web Site : www.iitm.ac.in
Web Site : www.iitr.ac.in/jam