Select a Course

Programs of study at community colleges usually include: Two-Year Associate Degree Programs designed to fulfill the requirements for the first two years of a four-year bachelor's degree. They may be called transfer degree programs because students who complete them later transfer to four-year universities for the final two years of study. such programs include pre-business administration, pre-engineering, fine arts, liberal arts, and computer science. designed to prepare students for immediate employment in fields such as automotive engineering, interior design, aviation flight technology, child development, criminal justice, health care services and sciences, business, fire science technology, paralegal studies, food management, and photography. Long-term programs include nursing, while short-term certificate programs include such specialty areas as office technology, real estate, and computer-assisted design.


Institutional accreditation of a community college is very important, especially if you hope to transfer from a two-year college to a four-year institution, in which case you will want to ensure recognition of your first two years of study.

Transfer and articulation

In addition to accreditation, the smooth transition from a community college to a four-year institution depends on the strength of the articulation agreement between the two schools. These contracts specify which courses transfer automatically from one institution to the other and, therefore, can be counted toward the four-year degree. Public community colleges work closely with the public universities in their state to develop transfer guidelines. The transfer of credits involving a private or an out-of-state institution may not be as well-defined.By targeting the four-year institution early and determining what is needed to transfer, then following a carefully designed program, you can avoid unnecessary work and expense. Recent innovative arrangements have made transferring easier. Some institutions have worked together to establish "dual admissions" policies whereby students are admitted to both the two-year and the four-year schools at the same time. Immediately after completing an associate degree, the student may transfer directly into the bachelor's program at the cooperating university.

Admission Procedure

You should have list of colleges that match your needs, interests, and abilities. You should also feel confident that you have the minimum entrance requirements for studying in the United States, and that you can meet the costs of a U.S. undergraduate education. Now it's time to start putting together your applications. Many also have on-line application forms that can be completed on the computer and sent back to the university electronically, or the forms can be downloaded and printed. If there is an on-line application, you should use it. This is the quickest method for submitting your application.

Registering for the admissions

If you are planning to enroll at a college in September (fall semester), take any relevant tests no later than January in the same year, and preferably earlier. You should confirm with each college whether you need to take the SAT I and SAT II Subject Tests. Remember that you cannot take both the SAT I and SAT II on the same day, and deadlines for registration for the tests are usually five to six weeks before the actual test date. Test scores must reach universities before the application deadline date, and you should allow at least four to six weeks between the test date and the application deadline. If English is not your native language, register to take the TOEFL. As with the SAT, make sure your test results reach colleges before their deadline dates. If you feel that you qualify for a TOEFL waiver, contact the universities directly and explain your circumstances.

Planning well ahead gives you sufficient time to make successful applications to the colleges of your choice. 12 to 18 months prior to the academic year in which you hope to enroll, begin to consider, research, and do the following:

  • What are your reasons for wanting to study in the United States?
  • Which universities will meet your needs?
  • Will you need financial assistance?
  • Find out application and financial aid deadlines. This will affect when you take the standardized tests required for admission since test results must reach admissions offices no later than these deadlines. The tests should be taken in advance of submitting university application forms.
  • Register to take standardized tests if required by the universities to which you are applying.
  • Begin narrowing down your choices of schools to approximately 10 to 20 institutions.

August Contact universities for application and financial aid forms and catalogs. Obtain test registration forms to take the TOEFL and SAT I and SAT II, if necessary.

September to December Request an official transcript from your school.

  • Request letters of recommendation from your teachers
  • Submit completed application forms (for admission as well as financial aid).
  • Double check that transcripts and references have been sent
  • Take the necessary admissions tests.

January to -April University application deadlines must be met; note that these are for regular admission - early admission deadlines will be sooner.

April- June Letters of acceptance or rejection arrive. Decide which university to attend, notify the admissions office of your decision, complete and return any forms they require. Send letters of regret to those universities you turn down.

  • Organize finances: arrange to transfer funds to a U.S. bank; make sure you have funds for travel and expenses on arrival.
  • Finalize arrangements for housing and medical insurance with your university.

June to August Apply to your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for a visa upon receipt of your I-20 form and well in advance of your departure date

  • Make travel arrangements.
  • Contact the International Student Office at your university with details of your arrival plans, and confirm details of any orientation for new students held by the university.